Burberry Sheer Eye Shadow in Dark Sable #23 A/W 2012 Collection

| 7 Comments


This is my first foray into Burberry eyeshadows.  As in the case with a lot of people, I will first dip my toes into a brand by trying one product, and then it's all downhill from there - I will be drawn into trying more and more of their products.  This is definitely the case with Burberry.

Dark Sable #23 is one of three new Sheer Eye Shadows in the Burberry Autumn Winter 2012 makeup collection.  As expected from Burberry, it is a beautifully executed down to earth neutral shade.


I much prefer Burberry's eyeshadow packaging to their lipsticks - the whole design is more in proportion and feels comfortable in the hand.  The compact is rather hefty and the metal finish is a fingerprint magnet.


A sponge tip applicator is included but nothing to sing about.  I wish they would include at least a mini brush on the other end for touch up emergencies.



Dark Sable is a velvety rich chocolatey coffee brown with no shimmers.  The colour is not quite milk chocolate but not quite 70% cacao either.  I think it's perfect for an Autumn Winter colour palette.


As with all Burberry eyeshadows, the texture is amazing - to touch, it has more of a super smooth texture rather than the expected powdery feel.  Dark Sable is very easy to blend and can be either worn as a liner, a sheer wash or a serious smokey eye.  I like to apply it as a sheer wash (to define eye sockets/crease) with a fluffy blending brush, over smokey smudged pencil liner.


I know lots of people will think this shade is actually quite boring and any other line would have a similar colour.  That is true in a way.  But with Burberry you are paying for flattering neutrals, amazing texture and beautiful application.  And that is it's beauty - sometimes you just want a fail proof makeup staple - and with Dark Sable, you can't go wrong.

7 Comments

  1. yummy. i am determined to use up/sell the crazy amount of shadow i have to replace it all with burberry. their texture and execution is to die for. this shade looks spectacular.

  2. with each Burberry eyeshadow post on my dashboard i feel more and more that i need to own them all!

  3. kellyyes - Yes! Exactly my thoughts. I really like the Burberry shadows.

    delicate hummingbird - Me too. I already have quite a few on my wishlist :x

  4. Looks great and not warm like a lot of browns are. I'm wondering if it is similar to their taupe brown shade, still I think I'll put it on my "to buy" list :)

  5. Hey! I've tagged you for the Liebster Award! Check out my latest blog post for more information! :) x

  6. Oh dear...I only have one Burberry shadow, but I'm so desperate to buy more!! Thankfully I don't have a counter near where I live and have to order by phone - but it still tempts me daily!!!

  7. Replica - I don't have Burberry Taupe Brown but looking at swatch photos, Dark Sable is much darker.

    Ellie - Thank you :)

    Beauty Obsessed - Let me know if you end up picking up any more, they are my favourite eyeshadows right now.

Leave a Reply

Comments on A LIPSTICK A DAY are moderated. Your comment will appear once it has been approved. Comments advertising blog or website links will be deleted.
To receive comment notifications for this post, click the "subscribe by email" link below.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...