Revlon Just Bitten Kissable Balm Stains in Rendezvous & Lovesick

| 15 Comments


I am a bit of a makeup snob but I know a good bargain buy when I see one.  I am smitten by these Just Bitten Kissable Balm Stains from Revlon (see what I did there?).  I tend to shy away from drugstore makeup because of three things - products that don't interest me, cheap packaging, and poor choice of colours.  These kissable balm stains are definitely none of those.

Let's point out the obvious here - these are blatantly a copy (I dislike the word dupe) of Tarte's Lipsurgence and Clinique Chubby Sticks - I'm not sure which appeared on the scene first since Tarte is not available in the UK.  I have swatched the new colours of Clinique Chubby Sticks at the counter (far better than the original safe boring Clinique colours) but was disappointed by the lack of pigmentation - it's just too sheer to justify its price tag.


So here's a copy that is actually better than the original Clinique.  Texture-wise I found them to be about the same.  Revlon's pigmentation however, in my opinion, is much better than Clinique - the colour is actually obvious when swatched!  The Revlon packaging is very similar to Clinique and actually looks presentable for a drugstore product.

[edited - Lulle's comment reminded me about the scent] These Kissable Balm Stains have a toothpastey, dental flossy mint smell which isn't the best - but it is bearable since I can only detect it on application. 

I couldn't decide between two colours so I picked up both - Rendezvous & Lovesick.


Lovesick is a bright, in-your-face, fuchsia magenta.  The colour reminds me of my Nars Carthage lipstick (I think the Nars is more pink), but I much prefer this balm texture.  I like to wear this with very understated eye makeup - just thin black liquid liner and mascara.



Rendezvous is an intense orange that is perfect for summer and looks especially good on tanned skin.  I like to pair Rendezvous with Guerlain's Pucci Bronzer Blush.


The colours appear darker on my lips than in the swatches below.  I didn't take photos of the stains left behind but I'm impressed - they actually stay on for a good few hours after the balm has worn off on the lips (after a meal).


I am very impressed by these.  Have you picked up any of the Revlon Just Bitten Kissable Balm Stains or Chubby Sticks?  What are your thoughts on them?

The Revlon Just Bitten Kissable Balm Stains are on special at Boots and Superdrugs at the moment - £5.99 each - I think they will sell out quite quickly.

15 Comments

  1. I really wanted to love Revlon Kissable Balm Stain, because I'm a big fan of Clinique Chubby Sticks, and I was hoping for a cheaper alternative. Unfortunately, I was really not impressed! I find the texture drier, and I hate the minty scent. But the real issue is that they dry out my lips pretty badly, so they're far from being as comfortable as the Chubby.

  2. Lulle - Thanks for reminding me about the scent! I'll add that in my review now. Personally I didn't find the Kissable Lip Balms to dry out my lips at all, and I found them to be well, pretty balmy. But your comment will be useful for those who have lips that dry out easily from lip products - so thank you :)

  3. I picked up 3 colors from Target to see what all the fuss was about. I've never tried the Chubby Sticks, but I have tried several colors in the Tarte LipSurgence. While the scent of the Revlon Just Bitten is very similar, I find the texture to be a lot drier so it doesn't glide on nearly as smoothly as the LipSurgence. The biggest difference for me was the lack of moisture in the Just Bitten. LipSurgence is so amazingly moisturizing I could hardly believe it when I tried it for the first time. And the moisture stays with you, as opposed to the Just Bitten which seems to get drier the longer it's on my lips. But everyone is different! So many love the Just Bitten and especially with how affordable they are, it's definitely worth giving them a go :-)

    G. McG

  4. Gummy - Thanks for the mini review :) I can see why Tarte & Clinique would both be smoother in texture + more moisturising due to the price difference. I would love to try lipsurgence - Tarte needs to be stocked here!

  5. hey I love them I just ordered mine :) and waiting for parcel :) by the way I am your new follower It will be great if you follow me back <3 www.mahrukhhayyat.blogspot.com

  6. I have no idea why I havent tried these yet. I love Revlon, I love lip stains/crayons..I need to get shopping:)

  7. Mahrukh - which colours did you order?

    S Lennyn - let me know which ones you end up getting :)

  8. i have rendezvous and cherish! love them!

    www.bellesbeautybox.blogspot.com

  9. Oh rendezvous looks fun... not sure how it would look on me, but that's still a pretty shade! I have lovesick, and it's pretty but I've only worn it once. It's not bad for a drugstore product, but nothing amazing to me either. Oh I think that Clinique's has been around longer? Tarte's also has that minty flavor which is sad :(

  10. Belle - Cherish is a very pretty pink but don't think it'll show up on me :(

    Bronzer bunny - it shows up as a coral if I apply lightly. If I apply more it's a summery orange - its not too bright. I think it's a good product given its price :)

  11. I've not tried these, they look like such fun colours! :)

  12. Fashion Tales - I always pick the brightest colours! There are some darker shades and some natural ones too. They're cheap and cheerful for summer

  13. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
  14. I love them so much that I got them in three colors: honey, rendevouz and crush :)

  15. Yethe - how are you finding Honey & Crush? I swatched Honey but think I overlooked Crush :/

Leave a Reply

Comments on A LIPSTICK A DAY are moderated. Your comment will appear once it has been approved. Comments advertising blog or website links will be deleted.
To receive comment notifications for this post, click the "subscribe by email" link below.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...