Look Inspiration - In The Mood For Love

| 2 Comments


I re-watched In The Mood For Love over the weekend and have found myself recreating Maggie Cheung's makeup.  In every scene the makeup is immaculate and in my opinion, a very wearable look, even though the movie is set in the early 60s.


The base must be perfect without looking overly "done" - I have been skipping foundation but spending a lot of time concealing with MUFE Full Cover Concealer.  Then I set with a translucent finishing powder.  There is a tiny bit of highlighting on the upper cheekbones in some scenes.


The eyes are all about the flicked eye liner - I used L'Oréal Super Liner to draw a medium line with a strong tapered upward flick.  Lashes are not that important in this look but I still curled them and wore 2 generous coats of mascara. Brows are thick but not 50s heavy.


There's not much blush, only the slightest hint of soft pink/peach.  I have been using Daniel Sandler Watercolour Blush in Cherub.


The lips varies from pink to rosewood to a soft plum stain to a classic red.  Lipstick only no gloss.


I love the story but I have to say it's not to everyone's taste - lots of people tend to find the story a bit slow.  The cinematography is unbelieveable but I think the costumes are even better.  She has a different "cheongsam" (traditional chinese dress*) in every scene and they look incredible.

* my grandma used to wear these as everyday clothes with the same kind of set hairstyle - amazing.

2 Comments

  1. Thanks for the tip, this is my favorite movie and I have been wanting to wear that look for a long time!!! and yes, I also LOVE all the "cheongsam" she ware!!!

  2. YF - You're more than welcome :)

Leave a Reply

Comments on A LIPSTICK A DAY are moderated. Your comment will appear once it has been approved. Comments advertising blog or website links will be deleted.
To receive comment notifications for this post, click the "subscribe by email" link below.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...